No one has a perfect hair day every day. However, there are some great hair tips and tricks that will help you beat the odds and keep your bed head into hot. Do you catch yourself wanting to have a stunning hair day every day? Of course you at least care about your lovely hair if you’ve found us here at Tressly. If you’re running out of care tips and style inspiration, we are here for YOU, no matter what hair length or type you have.
Here are ten hair hacks—not hackjobs!—that we think everyone should have up their sleeve or under their hood for healthy and stylish locks.
If you don’t want to commit to chopping off some hair to have real bangs, you can always pull it off using fake bangs! This trick is a great way to test out bangs without actually cutting your hair. You’ll love this; you could see if you’re ready to commit to the real deal or always have the opportunity to switch your hairstyle up.
1. Put your hair into a high ponytail, without pulling all of the ends all the way through on the final loop; this should feel like your halfway between making a bun and a regular ponytail.
2. Maneuver the shorter pieces of hair that haven’t gone all the way through the rubber band so that they cover your forehead and look like bangs.
3. Fake bangs are great because now you have the option to adjust them by pulling on the bun part of the hair more or less. You’re making retractable and removable bangs!
4. Use bobby pins and hairspray to complete your new bangin’ look and you have a hack worth sporting every now and then.
Coconut oil has become a staple product for just about everything! Using it in food and on your skin is great, but did you you know you can use it in any kind of hair? Hack away and keep some near your hair products, not just in your kitchen! If you don’t have a jar tucked away for beauty purposes, now is the time to start. Plus, this product is about as gentle and natural as
you can get. It’s a miracle oil that has antimicrobial properties and medium-chain fatty acids that strengthen your hair and condition your scalp without getting too hard or too gooey. Using this trick and reaping all of these benefits is simple, too:
1. Coconut oil naturally changes from solid to liquid form based on the temperature of its environment. It has a very low melting point, so even your body heat will keep it flexible and it doesn’t take much to make a liquid hair serum from it. If yours is solid, scoop some into the palm of your hand and let it liquefy a bit from your body heat before applying to your hair.
2. Work the coconut oil into your hair starting at the ends, all the way up to your scalp. This will nourish the strands from root to tip.
3. Once your hair is in a light coconut oil mask, wrap it up into a quick bun. Leave it in for at least a half hour.
4. For a more intense treatment, you can leave it in overnight, but be sure to have a pillow protector to protect your pillow from the oil residue.
5. Wash your hair as normal when you’re reading to stop coco bunning and be sure to lather up with shampoo so your hair won’t look too greasy.
Sticky bobby pins
Where would we be without bobby pins? Whoever Bobby was, we have a lot to thank that wizard for when it comes to staying stylish! These essential hair tools are small, but they pack a punch. This hack will take these little tools to the next level so they can be used to their full potential:
1. Select plain, undecorated or bedazzled pins for this trick.
2. Before using the bobby pins to style your hair, lay them out on a paper towel.
3. Spray your favorite hairspray onto them coating them evenly.
4. Apply the bobby pins groove-side down to your hair for the ultimate hold all day or night long.
No heat overnight curls
If you style your hair with heated tools, you probably have battled hair damage at some point, especially if you live in a place where the weather is also dry. If you’re trying to be kinder to your hair by using less heat, this hack has your name written all over it. An added bonus: you can hit snooze a couple more times in the morning because it essentially curls your hair for you overnight. This trick is a total win!
1. First, you should start with your hair just a little damp from either a quick water mist or slight towel dry after a shower.
2. Take a thick elastic headband and wrap it around your forehead, Bohemian style.
3. Take a section of hair from the front and twist it away from your face. Loop that section of hair around and around that headband, covering up part of the visible headband.
4. Repeat this again and again, taking each section and using the headband as one giant curler.
5. Continue these steps until you’ve gone all the way around your head.
6. Get your beauty sleep and after a tiny spritz of hairspray, release your hair in the morning for healthy and gorgeous heatless curls.
This hack is one you must know if you own a hair straightener or have one to borrow. It’s definitely loved by many for the effortless, beachy hair waves it creates. A bit different than the above curling method, this one does use heat, but not from a curling iron. All you’ll need for this hack is a hair straightener and a little bit of hairspray for hold.
1. To begin, take a small section of hair between one and two inches and place your flat iron about ¾ the way up the strand.
2. Close the flat iron and twist it away from your face, pulling it down the strand of hair while still clamped shut. Once released, you should have a bouncy curl.
3. Continue until all of your hair is curled. To make the curls more wavy and less defined, gently brush through your hair after and add some additional light hold hairspray.
4. This gentle look requires hairspray, but be sure not to use too much. Just let the waves hold and let out your inner beach girl!
Wait, what? This particular hack may sound strange, but once you experience the finished product, you will have wished that you knew about this easy, cheap, and natural trick earlier! We all know that eggs are a great source of protein. However, this grocery staple is not just for
eating! Give your hair an extra protein boost by applying an egg mask to strengthen strands and repair dead ends while avoiding chemicals and high cost. You can easily make this an all natural and organic treatment depending on what kind of eggs you buy. The team at Tressly
prefers free-range organic eggs for this hack.
1. Crack an egg into a bowl and whisk it like you’re preparing an omelet; you can simply use a fork in a pinch. Please don’t use your leftover omelet for this!
2. This next step can get a little messy, but it’s worth it. Hold your head over the sink or shower and begin distributing the raw egg over your hair. When the egg is completely covering your hair, pull it up into a bun. It might feel sticky, but don’t worry, it isn’t half as bad as most treatments in the market and is completely washable.
3. Leave the egg mask in for a half hour before washing it out thoroughly. To ensure getting it all out, you may want to shampoo twice and condition as normal. Your hair will thank you with incredible bounce and shine.
Leave the Conditioner In
Is the only time you use conditioner after shampooing? There’s definitely more than one use for this hair product, so be sure you’re using it to its full potential (note: one of our team members even uses it in her body wash for extra soft skin, so maybe you can discover even more uses).
If your hair is feeling a bit more dry and brittle than usual, or you want to prevent damage, try this helpful hack:
1. Timing and product selection is easy. About an hour before washing your hair one day, grab your bottle of conditioner. Conditioners designed for dry hair or for hair masks like this will obviously work the best, but with some coconut oil you can make any affordable condition a great option. The conditioners some hair dyeing kits include are excellent for this!
2. Take the average amount of product that you would usually use, and apply it to your dry hair starting with the ends working your way up.
3. Leave the conditioner in for 30 minutes or up to an hour, then wash your hair as normal. Your hair will look and feel extra moisturized with hardly any additional effort if you were going to use conditioner anyways.
Baby Powder Dry Shampoo
Did you know that you can easily use baby powder as a substitute for dry shampoo? It works wonders for absorbing excess oils and this hack also leaves your hair with a lovely scent. The baby powder trick is especially useful for those who dye their hair lighter colors, especially blonde since the baby powder can lighten up the appearance of your roots.
1. Take a small amount of baby powder in the palm of your hand. With your other hand, take some in your fingers and pat it in and around your part.
2. Repeat this step on different areas of your scalp, especially in areas where it is visibly oily. The baby powder will absorb it right up.
3. Brush through your hair to ensure the baby powder is blended in and if you are already dressed, make sure you don’t go out looking like a powdered donut!
A Quick Hack for Hair Volume
It’s pretty simple to create the look of bodacious, voluminous hair with the help of a natural bristle brush or teasing comb and some hairspray. Full hair doesn’t have to come from a salon or fancy products! In just a few minutes this hack can provide some serious oomph to your tresses!
1. Take a one inch section of hair at the top of your crown and backcomb (teasing the hair by combing towards your roots) it.
2. Continue teasing sections of hair below the one you just did until you’ve done three or four. Don’t over-tease or else you will look more bad perm than stylish before having to deal with knots and bedhead.
3. Once your hair feels more bouncy and plump, smooth your hair with your daily use/ standard brush in the direction it naturally falls. Once you brush through the controlled mess you created by backcomb teasing, you’ll be left with awesome volume.
4. To keep your full body all day, simply add some hairspray around your crown, and you’re good to go.
Quickly Make a Fuller, More Stylish Ponytail
Do you like to or want to make our ponytail grow in length and fullness, but what if there isn’t enough time to put in extensions or get your hair styled? Luckily, there are a few quick and simple hacks we have to help maximize what you’re already working with:
1. Pull the top half of your hair into a high ponytail. You can think man bun—actually no, don’t.
2. Next, pull the remaining hair into its own ponytail about one to two inches below the first one. Now think galactic princesses, but the hack gets better.
3. Tighten each elastic and tousle your hair to blend the two ponytails together. It’s best to use elastics that are the same color as your hair so your ponytail hack is your own little secret.
Do you already have a few hair hacks that you’d like to share with the Tressly network? Be sure to let us know some of your personal favorites or share photos of you using these hair hacks while you’re out and about with us @ilovetressly on Instagram.